The Temple is one of the older buildings within Gunnersbury Park and has a long history of lavish entertaining. Built in the eighteenth century by William Chambers for Princess Amelia, daughter of King George II, it sits serenely on the Round Pond where guests could enjoy spectacular views over west London extending to the Kew Gardens pagoda. The parkland trees have grown a bit since then but the views are still something to behold!
In 1816, Alexander Copland described ‘fireworks, rockets, squibs, serpents and the like over a piece of water in front of the portico‘ and, in later years, the Rothschild family kept flamingos here as part of their collection of exotic animals.
Today, the Temple is an intimate venue for up to 50 guests for ceremonies or receptions during the summer. The Italian Garden is situated directly behind the classical building and, with its’ iron rope arches forming an arcade of trelliswork covered in wisteria, it’s the perfect location for any event looking to impress.
More information on prices and availability can be found here.